Monday, January 25, 2010

My 1st Driving Class...

... was seriously fun!!!!!

I know, I just drove my mum's car round and round a parking lot, but I never expected Mr. Leong (my driving instructor) to allow me to drive on the road. XD

But of course, a sane driving instructor will not allow you to drive on the road on your 1st lesson unless he's fully convinced you can drive stick.

Nevertheless, after half an hour driving round and round the parking lot (the same parking lot I've been driving my mother's car in...), he was quite confident that I could drive.

Reason: 1. The engine didn't go kaput.
2. I was super calm (yeah right, my palms were sweating like it was in a sauna)
3. My mother already taught me the basics.

Then, it was time to swim with the sharks.
Taking small roads that lead to the amazons (where the piranhas are,), he directs me to a slope where the ultimate test is, which determines whether his judgement was right or wrong.

Giving me a brief explanation of what you should do when you stop at the slope, I listen intently and said to myself, "if only mum had given me the same instructions, I would already have mastered this task."

Let me contrast mum's guide to driving on slopes with his,

His instructions were...
Step 1: Put the car in gear.
Step 2: Press the accelerator till u hear revving sounds.
Step 3: Gently release the clutch until the car starts vibrating (which means she's ready to go!)
Step 4: Release the handbrake
...And what do you know, the car didn't go backwards and neither did it die. xp

Mum's instructions were...
"You have to feel it."
"Don't release the clutch so fast."
and last but not least...
"You see, you release the clutch too fast."

Haiz, I'm lucky mum does not work as a driving instructor or I'm sure to fail.

Anyway, after the final hurdle, he decided that I was capable of handling the kancil on the main roads. I was as thrilled as a boy who has finally learned how to cycle without falling. There is just one wee bit that gets on my nerves from time to time. It's when other people potong me and give me a look.

Whoa, some were so intimidating, I would have lost control of the car should I continue staring at him.

Other people:
"Hey kiddo, you drive so slow, a snail could easily overtake you." (Street racer)
"Get out of the way, kiddo, or I might just crush you, you @#$%^&!!!!" (Lorry driver)
"Die lorrr, a boy also dun know how to drive properly ah. How can?! (Auntie)

Me: "Just you wait and see. One day, you'll eat my dust!"

Today's acheivement:
1. Highest speed: 55 km/h
2. Highest gear: 4
3. Number of times engine goes kaput: 0

But the thing I loved the most is in this class was... the air-con was on at full blast the whole journey. xp

Next lesson: Parking and reversing!

No comments:

Post a Comment